The Royal Gardens of Turin unfold in a portion of the Royal Museum complex still enclosed by bastions for approximately 7 hectares. The first layout dates to the time of Emmanuel Filibert of Savoy (1528-1580) while significant modifications were added towards the end of the 1600s and in 1886.
The route includes the older Ducal Garden to the north of the Royal Palace, the Giardino delle Arti to the East, created by the expansion commissioned by Charles Emmanuel II (1634-1675), and the Boschetto in the North-eastern sector which has a 1800s matrix. The stone furnishings culminate in the Fountain of the Tritons by Simone Martinez (1756), and include large vases by Ignazio and Filippo Collino, statues and benches.
In 1997, following the fire that devastated the Chapel of the Holy Shroud, the Royal Gardens were closed to the public. Restoration work, begun in 2008, has brought back their ancient splendour.