Palazzo Barberini is part of the extended Gallerie Nazionali d’Arte Antica Corsini Barberini museum in Rome. The elegant Baroque structure was designed by the most illustrious of 17th century artists: Carlo Maderno, Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Francesco Borromini.
The façade of the palace, in via delle Quattro Fontane, has a ground floor portico with a false glass loggia designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini in 1629 above.
The imposing ceremonial hall at the heart of the palace was frescoed by Pietro da Cortona: it can be accessed by a staircase set in a square shaft designed by Bernini and by Borromini’s oval helical staircase. A range of artisans continued to work on the interior decoration of the palace until the 18th century, also creating a rococo apartment for Cornelia Costanza which was used as a residence by the Barberini family until 1955.