Construction of the walls of Pisa began in 1154 in the part of the city situated north of the river Arno and was completed in 1284 in the area of Cittadella Vecchia. The city wall was 150 years in the making with earthworks, towers and embankments in some areas.
It remained mostly intact until the second half of the 19th century. Later targeted demolition was required to accommodate the city’s expansion.
The walkway at the top of the walls, a height of 11m, offers a view over Pisa with a panorama that stretches from piazza dei Miracoli to piazzetta Del Rosso.