ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent management by TermsFeed Privacy Generator Tax Credits for Production Companies — Law n° 220/2016 (art. 15) | Italy for Movies

Tax Credits for Production Companies — Law n° 220/2016 (art. 15)



Law n° 220 of 14 November 2016 'Disciplina del cinema e dell'audiovisivo' establishes the 'Film and Audiovisual Fund' aimed at funding works through tax credits, automatic contributions and selective contributions.

The law recognises six types of tax credits:

  • Tax credits for production companies (article 15);
  • Tax credits for distribution companies (article 16);
  • Tax credits for film exhibitors, technical industries and post-production companies (article 17);
  • Tax credits for strengthening the film supply (article 18);
  • Tax credits for attracting investments in film and audiovisual products to Italy (article 19);
  • Tax credits for companies that do not belong to the film and audiovisual sector (article 20).

Tax credits for production companies allow companies to offset tax liabilities (IRES – corporate income tax, IRPEF – income tax, IRAP – regional income tax, VAT, social security and insurance contributions) with credits accrued following an investment in film and audiovisual development and production.


Link to the call Print Tab

Data sheet


  • Italian Film or co-production
  • Co-Production

Distribution channel

  • Cinema
  • Television
  • Web

Film industry branch

  • Development
  • Production


  • €462,000,000 (€157,000,000 for cinema; €248,000,000 for audiovisual works; €5,000,000 for videogames; €16,000,000 for teaching and educational products)

Eligible projects

  • Feature Film
  • Short Film
  • TV series
  • Documentary
  • Animation
  • Web product
  • Teaching and educational products, Music videos


  • Italian production company

Maximum quota on cost

Tax credits and other State support may not, all together, exceed 50% of the cost of the audiovisual work (this increases to 60% and 100% for certain types of works – see article 5 of the implementing decree).

Type of contribution

  • Tax credit

Tax credit rate

    • Development of web film and audiovisual works (no short films): 30% of expenditure
    • Production of films: 40% of expenditure (independent producers); 25% of expenditure (non-independent producers)
    • Production of teaching and educational works: 40% of the eligible production costs
    • Production of works for television and web: from 30% to 40% of expenditure


  • Italian nationality must be requested
  • Minimum paid-up share capital: € 40,000 (€ 10,000 for short films, teaching and educational works)
  • Minimum net assets: € 40,000 (€ 10,000 for short films, teaching and educational works)
  • ATECO code J 59.1
  • Registered office in the European Economic Area
  • Subject to taxation in Italy or other European Economic Area country
  • Only businesses with paid-up share capital

Payment schedule

  • 40% on approval of the preliminary request; the remainder (60%) on approval of the definitive request
  • 100% of the approved amount on presentation of the definitive request
  • The request must be submitted no earlier than 60 days before the start date of 4 consecutive weeks shooting or the halfway point (50%) of shoot days
  • DGCA will inform applicants of the outcome within 60 days from the date of submission
  • The applicant presents the definitive request
  • DGCA will communicate the amount of the remaining credit within 60 days from receiving the definitive request

Fundings in focus

All fundings