Also known as Palazzo Porcellaga, the Quistini Castle was built around 1560 on the commission of the noble Ottaviano Porcellaga who made it his fortified country residence and defence from the battles between the Venetian and French armies of the time. It stands amidst the hills of Franciacorta, close to the historical centre of Rovato.
The perimeter wall is an irregular pentagon with elegant walls, five corner towers and a four storey interior keep. It was built out of grey standstone from the area around the Iseo Lake.
Although the castle is privately owned, it is possible to visit some rooms, including the Sala Grottesca with its 19th century decorations and the Salon which, at 150m2, is the largest single-domed room in Franciacorta.
A key element of the villa is the 10,000+ m2 Botanical Garden which contains over 1,500 varieties of rose, ancient, modern and English, and hidden areas such as a bioenergetic garden, a hydrangea garden, fruit orchards and a small kitchen garden. The garden route has original sculptures made with recycled materials by the owner.
The castle hosts receptions and flowers and plant themed events such as the Giardinaria market show in May.