The State Archive in piazza Castello, Turin, houses the financial and administrative archives of the Savoy dynasty from the 12th century onwards. The capital of the Duchy of Savoy from 1562, Turin became the collection point for the archives scattered across different cities and, following the siege of 1706, the material was all moved to a wing of the Royal Palace. The documents were divided into the 132 inventories still used today in the 18th century. The building for the Court (now State) Archives was designed by the court architect, Filippo Juvarra of Sicily around 1731.
The central archive was seriously damaged by bombing during WWII and, with the peace treaty of 1947, lost some of the documents relating to the French Savoys. Renovation work was carried out in the 1980s and 1990s to render the building functional and restored its beauty. Today it hosts a library (which conserves documents dating back to Middle Ages), a museum and offices.