Located in Piazza del Plebiscito where it forms part of a single complex with the present National Library “Vittorio Emanuele III” and the San Carlo Theatre, the Royal Palace of Naples was designed by architect Domenico Fontana and building work began in 1600. The position was chosen to continue the tradition of a royal residence being in the Southern part of the city. The palace was designed in late Renaissance style with classical columns and ornaments on the façade, a central square courtyard with a portico on the ground floor and an internal four-sided loggia on the first floor. During the reign of King Charles III, work in 1734 began to extend the building towards the sea, with the Apartment of the Maggiordomo Maggiore, and towards Mount Vesuvius with the Apartment of the Royal Princes. Two courtyards were later added to the cour d'honneur (three-sided ceremonial courtyard). The late Baroque interiors were decorated with precious marbles and frescoes including some by Francesco De Mura and Domenico Antonio Vaccaro. Work continued until 1858 when a fire broke out in the Queen’s quarters which lead to a general restructuring in the neoclassical style by the architect Gaetano Genovese.