The historical centre of Cannara (PG), enclosed by medieval walls, features the Palazzo Comunale and the 15th century Torre Civica. Other sites of interest include: the Church of San Biagio, an example of late Umbrian Romanesque architecture which has preserved its 13th century façade and portal in Assisi stone; the 18th century Church of San Matteo with a triptych by Alunno and a wooden statue of Our Lady of Sorrows; and the former Church of San Sebastiano which is now the municipal auditorium. Three sites tracing the life of St. Francis of Assisi are of significant religious interest: the Church of San Francesco commemorates the Institution of the Third Order, the Palazzo Majolica-Landrini houses the Sacred Hovel where Francis stayed during his visits to Cannara and which can be visited. The former Salesian Convent in via del Convitto houses the Museo della Città di Cannara which displays artefacts from the excavation of Hurvinum Hortense, numerous frescoes relocated from other places, canvases and sculptures by a range of local artists including Dono Doni and Marcantonio Grecchi. At 3km (approximately) from the city centre on the road to Bevagna is the shrine of Piandarca erected in 1926 – the 700th anniversary of the death of St. Francis of Assisi – to commemorate the location of his famous “Sermon to the Birds” believed traditionally to be in the open countryside about 1km from the shrine.