The Mercato delle Erbe in Bologna was designed by Arturo Carpi and Gioacchino Luigi Mellucci in 1910 to house the treccole, the stalls used by travelling vendors that had been relocated from piazza Maggiore.
The building was seriously damaged by bombing in WWII and only reopened after significant restructuration work in 1949. Over time the shape of the block and their entire neighbourhood has profoundly changed: the former main entrance onto piazzetta San Gervasio has gone and in the 1950s and 60s numerous buildings were constructed which the market now touches.
The inner layout of the building is a Greek cross with an iron and glass roof. Since the 2014 partial restoration, the market has also included restaurants, bars, pizzerias, fried food and sandwich stalls.