The gardens of Villa Taranto are situated in the north western part of the promontory of Castagnola on the eastern shore of lake Maggiore, between Pallanza and Intra. The history of these gardens, which cover an area of 16 hectares is profoundly linked to Neil Boyd Watson McEacharn, a captain of Scottish origin who loved botany and Italy. He bought the estate from the Marchioness di Sant’Elia in 1931 to make an English garden.
The villa is not open to the public but the herbarium offers a display of refined natural paintings. The main attractions of the gardens include: alley of Conifers, fontana dei Putti, Dahlia Garden, mausoleum, greenhouses and the terraced gardens with their water features. The labyrinth has over 1,700 flowering plants while the mausoleum safeguards the remains of Neil Boyd Watson McEacharn.
Film Commission Torino Piemonte
Via Cagliari 42 — 10153 Torino
Phone: +39 011 2379201
Fax: +39 011 2379298